Hemel hempstead dating
The town remained part of the monastery's estates until the Reformation and break-up of Ashridge in 1539.
Hemel Hempstead on its present site is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as a vill, Hamelhamstede, with about 100 inhabitants.
Wealthy landowners built a few large country houses in the locality, including The Bury, built in 1790, and Gadebridge House, erected by the noted surgeon and anatomist Sir Astley Cooper in 1811.
As the Industrial Revolution gained momentum, commercial travel between the Midlands and London increased greatly.
Hemel Hempstead was located on a direct route between these areas of industry and commerce, initially when the Sparrows Herne Turnpike Road opened in 1762.
In 1793 construction began on the Grand Junction Canal, a major project to provide a freight waterway between the Midlands and the Port of London.